This week our activity is to produce our own form of Algorithmic Art or better known as “procedural art”. The examples and artists shown in class made this process seem very difficult. With procedural art there are a set of instructions that must be followed. If you follow these steps then you are should be able to come up with the same result every time. This assignment seemed very self explanatory. However, it was not until I actually attempted that I found the difficulty. I usually doodle for fun, which involves no structure at all. I simply draw any shape or design that comes to mind. Here, I struggled creating a constant pattern and being able to clearly explain each process step by step. I finally came up with a simple standard design. Although it fulfilled the requirement of algorithmic art, I wish I would have completed this assignment on a computer because the effects are much more visually appealing.
After plenty of trial and error, I was able to finally complete a design that follows simple steps. The steps to complete my design are as follows:
1. Draw a square
2. Split the square into 4 smaller squares with one horizontal and one vertical line.
3. Pick one of the four smaller squares and split that square into four smaller squares with one horizontal and one vertical line.
4. The top left square will be split with a diagonal line going upwards towards the right. Fill in the top left portion of this square.
5. The top right square will be split with a diagonal line going upwards towards the left. Fill in the bottom left portion.
6. The bottom left square will be split with a diagonal line going upwards towards the left. Fill in the top right portion.
7. The bottom right square will be split with a diagonal line going upwards towards the right. Fill in the bottom right portion.
8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the remainder of the 4 squares.
This process made me realize that not all art is a free from of expression. Some art is very structured, but still creates a visually appealing image. After creating my form of algorithmic art I was very pleased with my result. I have never created anything like this before so I hope my steps were easy to follow. This form of art has never been introduced to me until recently. While I was doing more research on algorithmic art some of the designs looked familiar. I guess I never knew that there was a series of steps to create this or that it had a specific type of name. I wish I was given sets of instructions and had time to re create other artists algorithmic art. This was definitely an enjoyable new experience for me.